Check out these top 10 tips on screenplay writing and even a valuable resource on how to write a screenplay from this interview with Renee West.
Renee is a fellow SBIer, who is a freelance IT consultant, owner of Her-Computer-Services and writer. While she enjoys fixing computers and helping others with their computer issues - her main passion is writing screenplays. She is also involved in volunteer work in her community.
1. Welcome Renee! I'm excited for you to share some tips on how to write a screenplay with us. Tell us a little bit about how you first got started in writing.I started writing when I was a teenager and since then have completed several plays, stories and one poem that was published a few years ago. Writing is like breathing to me, it's natural and easy for me. Give me a pen and paper and I can create a new person, place or thing in the blink of eye.
2. It sounds like writing comes very easily to you! What types of screenplays do you write?
My screenplays center on teenagers and young adults, family life and maturity - which I feel are often lacking in today's television and movie industry.
Although I don't expect a phone call from someone like Tyler Perry, Shonda Rhimes or Dick Wolf to take an interest in my work, I have had several of my friends read my screenplays over the years.
If I write about a young adult, I would want a young person to read my play to identify themselves and enjoy themselves while they're reading it. That's my satisfaction.
3. How do you market your screenplays? Any advice for us?
Well, to put myself "out there," I have decided to take the route of self publishing. After reading one of my plays recently, one of my computer repair clients reached out to local film producer about the play but to no avail. While this has not put a damper on things, it has solidified my decision to take the route of self-publishing
You have to make things happen for yourself instead of waiting for someone to do it for you. In fact, there is no such thing. I also spend time blogging about everyday topics and subjects.
4. From your experience writing screenplays, can you share your "Top 10 Tips in Screenplay Writing and How to Write a Screenplay?"
Here they are:
5. Thanks for those great tips on how to write a screenplay, as well as sharing a valuable resource with us! Where can our readers find out more about you?
Blog Site: http://wwwtellitlikeitis.blogspot.com
Computer Site: Her Guide to Computers
"I Have Never Been so Impressed With a Newsletter I've Signed up For."
"I Wish I'd Found Your Site a Year or Two Ago"
"Incredible Source of Information"
"Amazed at the Number of Tools for Writers"
"I Am So Blessed to Have Connected With You"
"You Are Amazing..."
"Well Done!"More feedback