26 Free Author Tools:
Book Marketing on a Shoestring Budget
Check out this list of 26 free author tools we compiled for you.
Download the 200+ Free Tools Special Report PDF here
- MobiPocket (http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloadsoft/productdetailscreator.asp) - When you look at the features available with Mobipocket and once you come to know that it is completely free, you will get "wow" gestures on your face. You can also create Photo albums, Birthdays Date Book, Personal Dictionary, Shopping List and much more with MobiPocket. (Around 10 different applications with 1 single application. Isn't it amazing?)
- BookBuzzr (http://www.bookbuzzr.com/) - Lots of helpful tools for authors available at BookBuzzr. Bookbuzzr has a great free tool such as "BookBuzzr Book Widget" (this widget will convert the book into a flappable book and readers can share the same on their websites, blogs or even Facebook profiles), Bookbuzzr Book-Tweeter (it markets and promotes a book on Twitter. Scheduled auto-tweets on twitter) and Freado.com free listings. Take a look at the Bookbuzzr.com website, all great information / resources for newbie or expert authors.
- Amazon's Top Reviewers (http://www.amazon.com/reviews/top-reviewers/ref=cm_pdp_top_reviewers) - Want credibility or good reviews on Amazon? Good reviewers will help you. Here is a list of the top Amazon reviewers that you could approach to review your book. Customers on Amazon rely heavily on "Genuine Product Reviews". Think of it like this: Which book will a customer buy? The book that has 100 reviews or the book which has only 1 review.
- ASCAP.com's Title Search (http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?mode=search) - Free search engine to search by Titles, Writers, Performers or Publishers / Administrators. ASCAP focuses mainly on the "music industry". ASCAP offers extensive support to authors / writers by Workshops and show cases. ASCAP is the only performing rights organization in the USA created and controlled by composers, authors, songwriters and music publishers.
- Dark Room (http://they.misled.us/dark-room) - Full-screen, distraction free, writing environment. Like photographers use Dark Room to focus on developing photographs, the same way the "Dark Room" (http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/product/writeroom) application is for authors to focus on "writing quality contents". It is a clone of WriteRoom (Mac OS X application).
- Writemonkey (http://writemonkey.com/) - If you use Miscrosoft Word 2007, you'll see a nice looking ribbon at the top of the page. But honestly, most people don't use all the features provided when writing books. Writemonkey is a zenware program and allows for distraction free writing by blacking everything out on your screen except for your typing. (Find out more about Zenware: http://searchunifiedcommunications.techtarget.com/definition/zenware)
- 1ChapterFree (http://www.1chapterfree.com/) - This is a free service which can help you publish the "1st chapter" of your book for free. I suggest that you put all the necessary information about the book on your own website and then publish the 1st chapter on 1chapterfree.com (it is a high traffic website and should be helpful to get more readers.)
- Filedby (http://www.filedby.com/) - Filedby is a platform where authors can create a free profile. Free profile is a great way to experience Filedby platform. There are three types of memberships available at Filedby
Definr (http://www.definr.com/) - Incredibly fast and free dictionary. You type any word for which you want the meeting and then click on meep. It is also available as a Firefox add-on. How to add as a Firefox add on please check this link: http://www.definr.com/definr/tools/. Follow @definr on twitter to get "words of the day". You can also subscribe to RSS feeds so that you can get new words every day for free directly into your inbox.
WordWeb (http://wordweb.info/free/) - Free English Thesaurus dictionary. It is a lightweight desktop application you can install easily. It is a one-click program and very easy to use. Professional version's price starts at $ 19.
Red Room (http://www.redroom.com) - Redroom is a well-thought of? community and have many great authors registered with them. You can register for free as a community member at Redroom and if would like to register as an author there is a premium membership (costs at $ 30 USD per month or $ 250 USD per year). I am including "Red Room" into the collection of free tools for a specific reason. There are many advantages to being a community member with them, even if you don't decide to pay for premium membership, it is really worth it.
Sigil (http://code.google.com/p/sigil/) - Free WYSIWYG Ebook editor. It will be helpful in editing ebook files. Multiple views (Book View, Code View and Split View) and Multiple-platforms (Windows, Linux and Mac) are supported.
Guide to Grammar & Writing (http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/) - This guide is a huge resource which provides high quality information not only on grammar & writing but also includes Quizzes, Grammar Polls & awards. You can also check nice PPTs on different grammar techniques: http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/powerpoint.htm
Using English (http://www.usingenglish.com) - Those authors who do not have English as their mother tongue can utilize this website. UsingEnglish.com has lots of materials not only for students who are taking ESL courses but also for trainers. Even though English is my first language, I refer to some of the materials provided on usingenglish.com whenever I get a chance. I have in fact bookmarked this website in my favorites.
Wridea (http://wridea.com/) - While writing a book, we get lots of ideas. But that idea may not be relevant to the chapter which we are currently writing. I can suggest that you post that idea into your account on Wridea (Wridea is a completely free web service which can help you to post your ideas and organize it so that you can use it any time in the future. You can also share your ideas with your friends.)
Scholarpedia (http://www.scholarpedia.org/) - Similar to Wikipedia but it is more accurate as all the articles or contents available on scholarpedia are written by experts. Each article is anonymously peer reviewed and each article has a curator. Scholarpedia will help you in getting the best quality contents for your books or articles. It is a nice resource to refer to on a daily basis.
Book-In-A-Week (http://www.book-in-a-week.com/what-is-biw/) - Book-In-A-Week is a social networking site with a twist. All writers of BIW are connected through a learning management system. Prior to Monday 8 am EST, all writers submit their goals and then plan activities to participate in the writing of a specific topic along with other authors. For newbie authors, this is a great place to start. Learning to write is great fun!
Writerface (http://www.writerface.com/) - Comprehensive free social networking website solely for authors and writers. Good place to market your books also. They have sections to upload photos, videos, blogs and links. Authors can also participate in forums and create social groups.
BookRix (http://www.bookrix.com/) - An online community site where you can create, upload and share your own books for free. There are no services charges or sign up charges at Bookrix. You own the complete rights of your book. You can read almost 13000+ books for free.
Writing.com (http://www.writing.com/) - Premier online community for authors / writers of all kinds of interests and skill levels. More than 850,000 members already registered on Writing.com. They have great resources for writers including "Online Writing Portfolio". Go show off your writing work and get more readers.
Worthy of Publishing (http://www.worthyofpublishing.com/) - Writers upload a blurb or all the chapters of the book (for e.g. http://www.worthyofpublishing.com/book.asp?book_ID=9392), readers comment on what writers have uploaded. If writers get high ratings and comments on their work, publishers will notice it and offer an author to write a book for them.
Writers Network (http://www.writers-network.com/) - Write short stories on this network, other authors and members will review your work. You can also share a nice poem here. Being a member, you can also review other author's work and leave an appropriate comment on it. Writers Network also has its own store with nice products available to buy: http://www.writers-network.com/Shop/commerce.cgi?product=Main.
A.I. Type (http://www.aitype.com) - Typing is more fun with AI Type. It is a completely free web 2.0 application. AI Type is a strong text predictor and helps you typing fast and accurately. Whether you are typing an email, chat, taking notes, preparing word or spreadsheet, AI Type would help in increasing your productivity by typing faster. AI type will predict on what you are typing and will give alternatives to select from. It also helps you to write correct spellings every time.
TinySpell (http://tinyspell.numerit.com/) - It's a simple spelling check application. You might be thinking we have a spelling check in MS Word or Open office sWriter then why we need TinySpell. But there are still many applications which do not offer spelling check facility. TinySpell can be very useful in those cases as it can check spellings on the fly and alert you whenever it detects a misspelled word.
Search It! (http://www.self-publishing-coach.com/searchit) - This is an amazing free tool. I haven't even fully used it to its full potential. You can use it to help you do research for your projects or to find blogs to include in your virtual book tour. Definitely check Search It! Out and click on the more information link - there's a wealth of info there.
Createspace (http://www.self-publishing-coach.com/createspace) - Most of you probably know about Createspace, a company of Amazon. You can sign up for a free account and publish a print book for no upfront costs. I do recommend using an editor and book cover designer to give your book that professional look. I personally have used Createspace for all my books and am very happy with it.
- Basic - 100% free
- Premium - $ 99/yr
- Premium Plus - $399/yr
My Free Gift to You?
Download my 36-page free report, "200+ Free Book Marketing and Author Tools" as a handy reference.
When you subscribe to my "Self Publishing Tips" newsletter you'll get:
- Free PDF report, "200+ Free Book Marketing and Author Tools"
- Free Book Interior Template (.doc)
- Free tips and advice about self publishing
More Free Book Marketing and Author Tools
26 Free Author Tools
Free Mind Mapping Software
and Outliners/Brainstorming Tools
5 Free Word Processors
& Office Suites
Note Taking Software
- 8 Tools to Keep You Organzied
Free Productivity Software
- 8 Tools to Help You Get Things Done
7 Free PDF Conversion Tools
6 Online Document Sharing Tools
Free Video Editing Software
and Other Cool Video Tools
6 Free Screen Capture Tools
5 Places to Find Royalty Free Images for Free
14 Free Graphic Editors
2 Free Book Cover Software
9 Free Graphic Generators
2 Free Audio Tools
5 Free Conference Phone Calls & Teleseminar Tools
11 Free Email Marketing Software and Tools
7 Free Web Video Conferencing and Webinar Tools
16 Free Project Management Tools
9 Free Invoice Software and Tools
6 Free Web Site Shopping Cart and Checkout Systems
7 Free Blog Sites and Tools
7 Free Website Building Tools
7 Free Social Media Tools
6 Free Online Marketing Tools and SEO
3 Print on Demand Service Companies (mugs, hats, t-shirts, etc.)
21 Miscellanous But Useful Free Tools
Share This Page Using The Icons Below